a month or so ago, i told mike that when the play was over we should do more interesting things around the city.
things that i meant: going to see a favorite author read from her new book.
things that i didn't mean: calling 911.
fortunately/unfortunately, today i did both.
first: the call. after the library closes, we are not allowed to wait outside with kids that have yet to be picked up. we are supposed to call the police who are then supposed to come and wait with the kids. tonight, it was my job to close up and i was left with three parentless kids. after trying to figure out what to do (i hate scaring the kids and they were nervous enough), i finally had to cave and call. i have no idea what the lady on the other line said, but i opened with "this isn't an emergency, i just need the police." hopefully i won't have to say that again.
in the end, the parents arrived (15 minutes after we closed!) before the cops did. which made for an awkward call back ("i just called the cops, but i don't need them anymore...").
i left just in time to make it to the barnes and noble by lincoln center to see jennifer weiner (she wrote "in her shoes" and "good in bed") talk about her new book. she was lovely - fabulous while still projecting i-would-be-a-great-best-friend. i particularly enjoyed her take on fiction. she has totally inspired me to pick up the novel i keep pretending to work on.
and, for what it's worth, she recommends the epidural when having a baby. huh.
3 comments:
After reading your last two entries I continue to think you should pick up that novel you are "pretending to work on." Actually, I think you could write some wonderful children's books!
Glad your play is being a success! I bet it has a lot to do with the stage manager!!
Squeal!! I love Jennifer Weiner. I just read Little Earthquakes and loved it. (that was during my everything-in-the-world-is-about-babies phase, and no, I'm not pregnant, I just saw Knocked Up, Waitress and Juno in a very short period of time). Which, by the way, have you seen Waitress? It has Mal in it! He's great. I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.
Ooh cool! (About Jennifer Weiner, not the 911 call.) I'm totally jealous. Do you happen to know if she's doing any other readings?
Post a Comment